Monday, June 28, 2010

The last of Jane Austen

"There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature." 
 Jane Austen (Northanger Abbey)
And with this I end my exploration of Jane Austen which is as far as I will go. I fear I will ever get the time or the inclination to actually read any of the books. Though if I must read I will definately read 'Pride and Prejudice' which I think was her best work ever yet. Even the characters she created in it infinitely superior to all the others let alone the story and the plot itself.
Anyways I just finished watching Northanger Abbey in quick succession of Mansfield Park, Emma and Persuasion. Honestly quite disappointing especially after Pride and Prejudice. I still haven't fully gotten over that one.
But one thing I must say, what i liked most of all, was Kathy. So innocent almost childlike. In the movie she looked only ten instead of the eighteen she is supposed to be. 
But I wonder if people like her exist in this world anymore or if they do, exist long enough?! Or are they hurt into silence or driven to despair or worse yet moulded into the world around them. I identified with her trusting again and again, being misunderstood, and being wronged again and again.
As one wise person, who ironically went on to break my heart, once told me, 'never love people Lydia more than they would love you'. And as Conner of the movie 'the ghost of girlfriends past' would say, 'the power in a relationship lies with the one who cares less'. How very true and yet how very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment