Monday, May 7, 2012

Gratitude

Last night 2am
I rushed out hearing loud screaming. I find a woman in labour in a small maruti van. While my nurse rushes to get the trolley, I just check the perineum. Lo and behold the baby's head is already there. So with no time to waste I deliver the baby in the van and cut the cord. While the mother is being shifted, I stabilize the baby and hand it over to the relatives. I then proceed to remove the placenta and stitch her up.
And then... the most astounding thing happens...
I ask for a minimum advance. And guess what? They refuse!! "The baby was anyways out. You didn't have to do anything. Why should we pay anything?"
Wow!! I'm absolutely shell shocked! I really can't believe that after witnessing that entire episode they would say that I did nothing!
That I think its the biggest deterrant to medical missions. The biggest discouragement that a doctor, working day in and day out, in the middle of nowhere actually, any doctor, for that matter, faces. Ingratitude. However in a corporate setup you have your accademics, career and finances to comfort you. But in a smaller place what plus point do you find????
The only way to overcome is your vision. The only thing that keeps you going is your calling and the strength you receive to fulfill that calling.

3 comments:

  1. Doc, I really appreciate your heart for missions but this story is so typical of many a missions scenario - medical or otherwise.
    I have come to believe that things on the mission field are sometimes very contrary to the usual and logical patterns. I don't know how palatable this will be to most people but I think that Gratitude, in missions, flows in the "reverse" direction.
    As disappointing as it is to find people being insensitive, unresponsive or unappreciative of our service, one must remember that it's the one serving that's called to be grateful for the call! The rest have no obligations!!
    #missionarybitterpill#


    xianlibertarian@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was just reading through your blog. I have tremendous respect for people in the medical mission because I grew up in that environment.I know this post was written almost a year ago, but I read it today. I just want to encourage you with a verse from the book of James. My bible study group focused on these verses for a week. I'm quoting the "Message" version here as it hit closer to home for me.
    "Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges ome at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don’t try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way." - James 1:2-4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you deepa. That was a much needed verse. God bless...

      Delete