Monday, April 9, 2012

Strike!

I came into work today. 6 pm. My usual. Except that nothing was the usual. The hospital wore a deserted look. Even on a Monday wich was our busiest. I was quickly updated on the situation. All the nurses and support staff were on strike.
For the first time I'm experiencing a strike. I now know what it feels like. To be all alone. To have to do everything by yourself. From the moment a patient walks in, making patient cards, checking weight and temperature, seeing the patient, dispensing drugs, billing....
We go on. We've cut down our admissions. Reduced work load. A single shift. Ten to ten. The hospital is closed and bolted the rest of the time.
I don't know how long this will go on. Whether any side will budge. When the strike will end.
But till then I work. And pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment