Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The best of them all

I think we shall let the story speak for itself.....


She is tolerable, I suppose, but not handsome enough to tempt me; I am in no humour at present to give consequence to young ladies who are slighted by other men. You had better return to your partner and enjoy her smiles, for you are wasting your time with me.
Pride and Prejudice
Mr. Darcy to Mr. Bingley about Elizabeth Bennet, Chapter 3.


I have been meditating on the very great pleasure which a pair of fine eyes in the face of a pretty woman can bestow.
Pride and Prejudice
Darcy to Miss Bingley, Chapter 6.



She hardly knew how to suppose that she could be an object of admiration to so great a man.
Pride and Prejudice
Elizabeth about Darcy fixing his eyes on her, Chapter 10.



Elizabeth, having rather expected to affront him, was amazed at his gallantry; but there was a mixture of sweetness and archness in her manner which made it difficult for her to affront anybody; and Darcy had never been so bewitched by any woman as he was by her. He really believed, that were it not for the inferiority of her connections, he should be in some danger.
Pride and Prejudice
Chapter 10.



More than once did Elizabeth, in her ramble within the park, unexpectedly meet Mr. Darcy. She felt all the perverseness of the mischance that should bring him where no one else was brought, and, to prevent its ever happening again, took care to inform him at first that it was a favourite haunt of hers. How it could occur a second time, therefore, was very odd! Yet it did, and even a third. It seemed like wilful ill-nature, or a voluntary penance, for on these occasions it was not merely a few formal inquiries and an awkward pause and then away, but he actually thought it necessary to turn back and walk with her.
Pride and Prejudice
Chapter 33.



"In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."
Pride and Prejudice
Chapter 34.



There was certainly at this moment, in Elizabeth's mind, a more gentle sensation towards the original, that she had ever felt in the height of their acquaintance.
Pride and Prejudice
Elizabeth's changing relationship with Darcy on first visit to Pemberley, Chapter 43.



But that was only when I first knew her, for it is many months since I have considered her as one of the handsomest women of my acquaintance.
Pride and Prejudice
Darcy on Elizabeth, Chapter 45.



You are too generous to trifle with me. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged, but one word from you will silence me on this subject for ever.
Pride and Prejudice
Darcy to Elizabeth, Chapter 58.



They walked on, without knowing in what direction. There was too much to be thought, and felt, and said, for attention to any other objects.
Pride and Prejudice
Elizabeth and Darcy, Chapter 58.



Do they really meet...? Elizabeth and Darcy....? Through it all? In spite of the odds? In spite of themselves and who they are and where they are and what they are? Will they really meet....? Elizabeth and Darcy....? Will they....

No comments:

Post a Comment